Winter Farm Safety - Transport and Machinery
As a member of the Farm Safety Partnership, we're more committed than ever to promoting safer working practices within farming and rural communities. Each season the Farm Safety Partnership focusses on different aspects of farm safety, and this Winter the focus is on 'Transport and Machinery'.
Here's the Farm Safety Partnership's key guidance...
1. Follow Safe Stop procedure every time you leave the cab
- Put the hand brake on
- Put controls in neutral
- Turn the engine off
- Take the key out of the ignition
2. Wear a seat belt
- Even on short journeys and around the yard
3. Drive legal and safe every time
- Make sure your vehicle is roadworthy before taking it out
- Check that brake lights work
- Make sure you can see out of mirrors and windows
- Check for drawbar ring wear and that trailers are hitched up securely
- Ensure that loads are secure
4. Make your farm yard a safe yard
- Put in traffic routes
- Segregate vehicles and pedestrians
- Have adequate lighting, signage, speed limits and mirrors in yard
- Avoid reversing - have one way systems
- Beware of overhead cables - make sure visitors know where they are
About our Farm Safety Partnership membership
UKRS are delighted to communicate its membership to the Farm Safety Partnership (FSP). The Farm Safety Partnership represents a broad spectrum of agricultural interests, including the large farming membership organisations; auctioneers; training providers; farming press; and machinery dealers.
As a member we have committed to raising safety awareness in the industry and to support the aims of the partnership:
- To provide leadership to improve the safety of farms and allied industries.
- To reduce the numbers of deaths and major injuries to farmers, workers and anyone else coming into contact with farming activities.